RealFlow Wisdom

RealFlow blog: Tips, Technics and Scripting.

Whirlpools

These days I was looking for information about whirlpools. Here some links:

10 Magnificent Maelstroms

Magnificent Whirlpools and Maelstroms: The Nature’s Own Jacuzzis

Whirlpool Facts and Myths

Giant ocean whirlpools puzzle scientists

Demopolis Lock Whirlpools!

I found some threads in the forums and was playing arround  this subject. By now I have not great results but think it is quite easy to get interesting results using vortex and DSplines daemons.

First test I did was with partcle base fluids, the problem is you need a lot of particles.

These are some tests using HYBRIDO where you can generate a lot of particles, in this tests I have used few cells so they are not showing a lot. In the first example I used a simple vortex, the other three a DSpline gives you more control and let you play with several configurations, animating parameters and its layers.  Now I am working on the other layers of the simulation, splashes , spray, foam, etc.

Some test scenes.

Advertisements

July 19, 2011 - Posted by | Daemons, Grid Base Fluids, HYBRIDO | , , ,

6 Comments »

1. Hey i would like to thank you because this essay gave me some ideas !! It really helped me !!! But because im new at realflow !!!! During the process , i encountered alot of problems …. Eventhough i tried researching on the internet , but i still dont have a clue , i hope u can take out some free time to help me with it !!!! Of course i would really thank you if it is detail ! Thanks !

1st , HYBRIDO should be using grid mesh or both? I used grid mesh but the results aren’t that amusing .

2nd , i downloaded ur scenes and added splashes , sprays and foams and did a test , and the results werent that nice either .

3rd , another thing is im using realflow 5 , i do not know whether i should test it with realflow 5 , because of the difference realflow 5 and 2012 . 4th, i did try the test using 2012 , but its grid mesh cant control polygon size . Thats y i ended up using realflow 5 .

Ps : my english is not that good , any misunderstanding pls do forgive me

e-mail:edison__lin@hotmail.com

Comment by chau | December 27, 2011 | Reply

• Sorry for delayed answer, I have pending post about these points.
      Anyway, you have de possibility to export the grid to bin particles and use them in render as always.

Comment by jalixko | February 18, 2012 | Reply

2. Hi i have also been searching the internet for an answer to why the polygon size option has been removed from grid mesh it now makes using grid fluids almost obsolete. very strange. any one got any ideas? if not it seems reverting to an older version is the only way for now.

Comment by jsutin | February 18, 2012 | Reply

• The polygon size are depending on grid parameters, you can find most of the info about this in the manual.

Comment by jalixko | February 18, 2012 | Reply

3. In my opinion your system is wrong… you just get the area moving but as far as I understand the fluid should be sucked into the deep and the surounding water should have a bit of a spin… this way you should get the right feeling and the correct waves around. But I didn’t get the effect controlled myself. So just a kind of a advice. 😉 Anyway good system at all. I use your dSpline settings to get this effect faked in a glass of water… Cheers and great blog!

Comment by jannissingh | August 31, 2012 | Reply

• You are right, this is not the best method, but you could achieve it using a DSpline, KVolume and a volume emitter arround the center of the DSpline.
      I hope to be able to continue this post in the future, this exercise have several solutions.

Comment by jalixko | September 3, 2012 | Reply